If you want to treat your significant other to a romantic meal, but want to avoid the lines and triple dollar signs, you might be interested in exploring the Lava Tubes for lunch. The Lava tubes, or Lava Overlook trail, is a moderate 2.5-mile hike that passes three lava tunnel entries. Instead of simply looking down the tunnel and continuing with your hike, stop at the first entrance and get ready to climb.
Once inside the tunnel, there is a large opening into a dark cave. In this cave, you can set up some romantic firefly lights, candles, and a simple but romantic meal. You’ll notice many people bring glow sticks with them into the tunnels and splatter the residue over the walls of the cave. If you’re lucky, it may still be glowing for you. Turn off all your lights and you’ll think you’re looking at the stars!
Here is a list of things to pack for your romantic hike:
- Battery powered firefly lights – to light up the tunnel.
- Light up Valentines Day Sign – to add a Valentine’s Touch.
- Candles – To spice up your meal.
- Flashlights – To work your way through the tunnel.
- Glow sticks – Add some silly fun to your exploration!
- Valentines Day Gifts – this might be a good time to give that special someone their special V-Day gift.
The most important part is making sure the meal is fun, delicious, and satisfying. Here are some easy but romantic ideas we came up with for food:
- Tiny sandwiches – make your sandwiches like you normally would, but get a little silly with cookie cutters! Make bite-size sandwiches in the shape of a heart to really show off your love!
- Cheese and Crackers – and Jalapeno Jam! Everyone loves a little soft cheese and crackers, but add a little spice to your night by adding Jalapeno jam to the mix! Jalapeno jam is such a great combination with cream cheese and crackers, you’ll never want cracker’s any other way!
- Rainbow fruit skewers – Add some color to your meal with these fresh fruit skewers! The sweet deliciousness of these fruits will really tie the meal together.
- Red Velvet Truffles – These easy but delicious bite-size desserts will bring out the sweet side of you and your sweetheart. With only 4 ingredients, they’re the perfect picnic dessert.
- The Lava Overlook trail is located within Snow Canyon State Park, which means there will be a small State Park fee of $10 per vehicle. The park is only six miles from the site for our hotel, so you can even stop by and see our progress! We will be located just across the street from the Santa Clara city offices. I wouldn’t recommend going in the lava tunnels if you have a child under the age of 10 with you, as climbing out can be a little difficult. Dogs are not allowed on this trail, although they are allowed on many others within the Park. Be safe, and enjoy your time with your loved one(s)!
For more information about our hotel, visit here.
For more information regarding the Lava Overlook Trail, go here.